If you are still using the old theme you can view the correct Knowledge Base here: https://help.easydns.com/.
|Transferring a domain over to easyDNS is a simple process, but will require the user to go between the two registrars. Users should also note that it can typically take 3-7 days to transfer a domain successfully from the time the Authorization Code is entered. Transfers will time out after 7 days if the request is not confirmed so if this happens to you please contact our support team to resubmit your request.
NOTE: Domains are not transferable for the first 60 days of their initial registration.
NOTE: For more information on the domain extensions we support for registrar transfers, please see HERE and HERE.
Before transferring the registration to easyDNS, you will first need to prep the domain at the CURRENT registrar. Prepping the domain for transfer includes:
1. Unlocking the domain name. If successfully unlocked the status of the domain should read ‘OK’ within its WHOIS printout:
NOTE: You can check the WHOIS information for your domain HERE.
However please note that this is dependant on the domain extension itself as some extensions (such as .CA domains) will not show a change in status even if unlocked successfully at the registrar.
2. Obtain your Authorization Code for the transfer. This is sometimes referred to as an EPP Code, Transfer code, CIRA Password along with other variations. You should be able to get this directly from your account, but may require that you contact your current registrar directly.
3. Disable any WHOIS privacy feature that may be currently enabled.
Once you’ve successfully prepped the domain for transfer, you can now begin the transfer process to easyDNS either from our main homepage (www.easydns.com) as shown below or from within your easyDNS account itself. Both will take the user through the same transfer funnel:
1. Log into your easyDNS account
3. Enter your domain under USE AN EXISTING DOMAIN and click on NEXT
4. Choose your service level, enter your Authorization code, and click on NEXT
NOTE: Make sure the service level you choose has REGISTRAR TRANSFER in it.
5. Confirm your information and click on NEXT
NOTE: Please note that if you did not enter your Authorization code earlier that we will automatically send the transfer email specified within the information above.
6. Choose whether you’d like us to transfer the DNS for your domain by either selecting to SWITCH NAMESERVERS AUTOMATICALLY or by selecting to upload your DNS records. If you do NOT want us to transfer your DNS, you can just click on NEXT.
NOTE: Because registration transfers can take up to 7 days to finalize, we recommend that users transfer the registration first and then the DNS after this has completed.
NOTE: If you choose to upload your zone file, make sure it is in a plain text format and in Bind. You’ll also want to double check to see if your records have been uploaded successfully via the DNS SETTINGS page for your domain once the invoice has been paid.
NOTE: If you would like us to enter all your zone files on your behalf, you can send an EASY-DOES.IT request once the invoice for transfer has been paid. For more information on how to send an EASY-DOES.IT request, please go HERE. Please also make sure that your zone file is in a plain text format.
7. Click on CHECKOUT
Once the invoice has been paid the domain will appear within your easyDNS account. If the Authorization code was entered during the sign up process then the transfer will officially be initiated. If the Authorization code was not entered then an automated email will be sent to the address specified with further instructions on what to do with your Authorization Code.
The automated email will look like the following:
The current registrar of record for this domain name is xxxxxxxx.
You have received this message because you are listed as the Registered Name Holder or Administrative contact for this domain name in the WHOIS database.
Please read the following important information about transferring your domain name:
* You must agree to enter into a new Registration Agreement with us. You can review the full terms and conditions of the Agreement at https://transfers.easydns.com/index.cgi?rid=47417&tld=.com&action=contract
* Once you have entered into the Agreement, the transfer will take place within five (5) calendar days unless the current registrar of record denies the request.
* Once a transfer takes place, you will not be able to transfer to another registrar for 60 days, apart from a transfer back to the original registrar, in cases where both registrars so agree or where a decision in the dispute resolution process so directs.
If you WISH TO PROCEED with the transfer, you must respond to this message as outlined below (note: if you do not respond by Thu Jan 15 12:06:31 2015, xxxxxxx will not be transferred to us.).
Please go to our website, https://transfers.easydns.com/index.cgi?domain=xxxxxxxx.com&id=9u73hwPHH4 to confirm.
You may need to enter the following information to complete the transfer:
Domain Name : xxxxxxx.com
If you DO NOT WANT the transfer to proceed, then don’t respond to this message.
NOTE: This automated email is referred to as the ‘Transfer Key’. This is NOT the same thing as your Authorization/Transfer code.
NOTE: Please note that the automated email to initiate the transfer will expire after a week if no action is taken. You’ll need to contact our support team to resend this email.
NOTE: Please note that once the code is entered you will be unable to update your nameservers or DNS settings for your domain name. As such you’ll want to make sure you update all information before the code is entered or once the transfer has completed.
Once the Authorization code is entered via the automated email, the registrar transfer will officially begin and can take up to a week to complete. There is no further action needed on your behalf until the transfer has finalized.
Domain Transfer Failures
Transferring your domain name from your current registrar to easyDNS can fail for any one of a number of reasons.
Transfers most often fail because the WHOIS information is incorrect or outdated. For example CIRA, the Canadian Internet Registration Authority, will confirm the legitimacy of the transfer by contacting the domain’s Administrative contact by email. If the WHOIS record does not include a currently valid Admin contact email address, users will have to contact the current registrar to update it.
In other cases, the registrar lock may be enabled for a domain. A registrar lock is a safety measure used to prevent accidental transfers. You will need to contact your current registrar to find out whether a registrar lock is enabled and disable it to allow for transfer.
There may be extenuating circumstances that will legitimately deny a transfer request:
Registrars are required to specify a reason when denying a transfer request.
As well, if the domain is within 60 days of its renewal date and users have received an invoice from their registrar, they may not be able to transfer the domain. Users would need to contact them and have the ‘unpaid status’ removed from the domain before it can successfully transfer the domain to another registrar.
Before resubmitting the transfer, check the following conditions that may have caused the original failure:
Once users have corrected any issues, they can have the transfer resubmitted with easyDNS in a number of ways:
1. A failed transfer will trigger an automated email to be sent to the easyDNS account holder where the domain currently resides. Within the email, users can find a link and have the transfer resubmitted without having to log into the account:
To resubmit it, visit the following URL and follow the instructions:
If you have any questions about any of the information contained in this email, please contact our support staff at:
2. Contact our support team to resubmit the transfer manually.
Most users will want to transfer both the registration and DNS service for a domain. If this applies to you, then there are steps you can take to ensure there are no interruptions in DNS service while the transfer is taking place. You’ll want to do the following:
1. Follow the instructions above showing how to sign up for the registrar transfer but DO NOT ENTER YOUR AUTHORIZATION CODE!. Once the code is entered, the transfer will officially begin and can take 3-5 days to complete. Please note that no updates to DNS and/or WHOIS information can be made during this period.
2. Once the transfer invoice has been processed, you’ll notice the domain within your list with a ‘Pending Registrar Transfer’ in the title. At this point you can begin populating your DNS settings for your domain by clicking on DNS. Please note that the settings you enter within your control panel will not be live yet as the domain is not delegated to easyDNS nameservers.
3. Once you’ve entered all your DNS information, you’ll want to delegate to the proper easyDNS nameservers within your CURRENT registrar. Please note that our servers are service level specific, so you’ll want to enter one of the following sets:
4. Once our nameservers are entered and 24 hours has passed for propagation, the settings within your easyDNS account will be live and easyDNS will officially be the DNS provider for your domain.
5. Enter your Authorization code to begin the transfer of the registration to easyDNS.